Tagline

God is Setting All Things Right. So I am Blogging Through the Bible in a Year.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

January 12 - Job 32-34: Young Elihu Ironically Tries to Comfort Job - By Repeating the Same Old Arguments

Today’s Reading: Job 32-34

The Message

English Standard Version

Thought to Guide Your Reading

When Elihu begins you wonder if he will defend Job. But he doesn’t.

Summary in 100 Words or Less

Elihu, a young man, finally has enough and yells at Job and his three friends, “If you old codgers can’t convince Job of his sin, let me. Job, let me hand it to you straight, no beating around the bush. You think God should answer you. You are wrong. God has no time to play courtroom with you. God could snap you like a twig. He is awesome! God cares for the entire world. Job, you have convinced yourself that you right. Now your punishment has come you play ignorant. Oh, the nerve! Give up and repent already."

How Today’s Reading Contributes to the Gospel: God is Setting All Things Right

This section looks out of place, but it isn’t.

Job has finally finished his defense. We wait the answer from God but instead we get the opposite–a young man repeating what has been discussed. But it isn’t out of place. It is here because the book is written to thwart your sense of comfort. It’s meant to look out of place to keep the reader uneasy.

The reader begins with such high hope for Elihu only to be crushed.

Every time I read this I get excited, “Elihu is going to show them the truth! He’s young; he’s not tainted. He’ll speak what is right." Yet it is not to be. Elihu has nothing new to say. He only repeats it without being interrupted.

Elihu deceived himself into thinking by being young automatically makes his ideas fresh.

This pains me as a young(er) person. I read books and hear lectures on topics and I think I can bring something brand new to everyone. But in the end all I have done is rehashed old, rejected arguments to the irritation of those around me. This may also be the reason I am skeptical of most political or theological movements. It’s not really new; it’s just trotting out an old idea in a hipster outfit.

What else did you see reading this passage? Questions? Comments? Leave a comment in the section below or on the Sonoma Mountain Parkway Church of Christ Facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. I had a really insightful comment, and I clicked a wrong button - now it's gone. I'll try again!

    Elihu says many things that are true, but then misuses them to support his own opinions. For instance, in chapter 32:8, he says -

    "...it's God's Spirit in a person, the breath of the Almighty One, that makes wise human insight possible."

    That's true, but then he goes on to assume that his opinions reflect God's wisdom. Maybe that's my lesson for the day - stop to reflect on what God's wisdom really is. I need to make sure I differentiate between my opinions and the wisdom of God!

    ReplyDelete